Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Office Project Numero Dos: Leaning Bookshelf Storage

It's been over a year since I introduced you to my office (or lack thereof) and told you about the plans I had for the space. I shared Office Project Numbero Uno: Worktable with you, and while progress in this room has been slow but steady, I'm finally getting around to finishing up the series (and the room) and sharing the rest of my projects with you.

S0, up next -- a bit of storage.

Photobucket

Using a leaning bookshelf from my old apartment (originally bought at Target), I added some Stockholm containers from the Container Store in navy and white. I ordered magazine files, a few different document and photo boxes, and the desktop file box. Then I added some color with two lime photo boxes from Target.

In the magazine files I store -- you guessed it! -- magazines. I just can't stand to throw them out, thinking I might need to go back and reference an old article or issue. (I do force myself to only keep as many issues as will fit in these files, so that means I have about a year's worth of each magazine and throw older ones out.) I also keep some Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware catalogs on hand for inspiration as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The document boxes hold various mementos I'm not ready to part with, including lots of wedding stuff.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also have a box that stores greeting cards, invitations, Christmas cards, souvenirs and hard copies of photos (like old school pictures of the niece and nephew). When I get invites/cards/pics, they go up on the fridge and when it's time to make room for new ones, they get transferred to this box. Since I'm not really scrapbooking anymore, it's nice to have an organized place to keep this stuff, and it's always fun to go back through the box.

Photobucket

I have a filing cabinet that matches my computer desk where I file away all of our important paperwork (bills, bank statements, insurance info, tax info), but one file in that drawer was getting out of hand -- the file of instruction manuals. So I used the desktop file box to create a separate filing system for the manuals to all of our "stuff." So far, it's working like a charm.

Photobucket

Photobucket

For a little decoration, I added the white plant pots from Ikea, a Table Topics game that I got as a gift, and the framed quote print that I got free from a blogger (she had created them for a shower and had some left over, so she mailed me one, how nice!). The colors just happened to match and I love the quote:
"We've grown to be one soul, two parts; our lives so intertwined, that when some passion stirs your heart, I feel the quake in mine." -- Gloria Gaither

Photobucket

So there you have it -- the bookshelf that suits my storage needs and is pretty to boot.

Photobucket

Maybe next time I won't wait 15 months to show you the next project.

In fact, I'm going to try and post an office project every Wednesday until I'm done (but don't hold me to it!).

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...